Day 308 in my journey to join up with Mickey at Magic Kingdom in October (4 months and 1 day to go)
Today’s plan was R & R…rest and relaxation. It has been everything I hoped it would be. I slept late and have taken two naps since I got up this morning. I can feel the stress melting away, and I can exhale… Ahh…
So since my plan for the day is so event-free, I will share my dinner recipe for this evening. It is from my current favorite cookbook: Betty Crocker’s 30 Minute Meals for Diabetes. The recipe is called Quick Taco Skillet Casserole. It makes 6 servings, each 3 carb choices.
- 1 lb extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1&1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup chunky-style salsa
- 1&1/2 cups water
- 1 can (14.5 to 16 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 can (11 oz) whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, undrained
- a can (6 oz) tomato paste
- In a 12-inch skillet or a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Drain well. Return beef mixture to skillet.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high, and cook 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir before serving.