Day 158 in my tasty travels to meet Mickey at Walt Disney World
Today’s plan is to get back to some serious menu planning. I need to get back to lean proteins, whole grains, lower glycemic index choices, fruit and many, many vegetables. So tonight I will plan out the next week, looking through my (low sugar) recipes. Then I’ll put together a shopping list for this weekend.
On the menu for tonight: Weight Watcher’s Chili. This is an old recipe that I picked up back in the 70’s. 🙂
- 1 pound of ground turkey (or chicken or beef or soy mince)
- 1 small to medium chopped onion (depending on how oniony you like it)
- 2 to 3 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 large can/bottle of tomato juice (I always pick low sodium or no salt added for juices and veg)
- spices to taste (I use chili powder, red pepper, black pepper, oregano, basil, marjoram)
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can wax beans
- 1 can French cut green beans
- 1 can bean sprouts
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can mushrooms
- Brown the onion and garlic in a little oil
- Add the meat and brown. (If you use soy mince, add it after the tomato juice)
- Add the tomato juice
- Season with your spices of choice
- Drain all canned veg (except diced tomatoes) and add to soup
- Bring to a boil.
- Then simmer for 20 minutes to an hour.
It’s so tasty! And even better the next day. It freezes well, so it makes several meals for Mike and I. Yum!
Meet you at the Kingdom!