Day 225 in cooking my way to a healthier me to pose with Mickey at the Magic Kingdom in October
Today is all about a recipe. I may have mentioned this book before. It’s called Betty Crocker 30 Minute Meals for Diabetes. As I am pre-diabetic, I try to eat as diabetes-friendly as possible. This book has been a real Godsend. So tonight’s new recipe is Quick Taco Skillet Casserole. I like quick, I like tacos and I like casseroles, so it sounds like a winner to me.
The prep time is 25 minutes for 6 servings.
- 1 pound (extra-lean) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 and a half cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup chunky-style salsa
- 1 and a half cups of water
- 1 can (14.5 to 16 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up
- 1 can (11 oz) whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- In a 12-inch skillet or 4-quart Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain well. Return beef mixture to skillet.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir before serving.
Sounds great, right? I’ll let you know how it tastes. Meet you at the Kingdom!